Clubbing: Sailors, 15 Fore Street, Newquay, Cornwall
Sailors, 15 Fore Street, Newquay, Cornwall (01637 872838). Thur/Fri/Sat , 9.30pm till late (ladies free before 10.30 on Sat) pounds 3
Saturday 07 December 1996
"Sailors", which boasted the longest queue, seemed the most enticing. Progress into the club is painfully slow but a well-placed chippie offered hot and greasy fortification against the robust Cornish weather.
Inside, Sailors is huge. The main dance floor on the lower section is dominated by a vast video screen relaying 100 MTV-style images per second.
The bare elements required for an alluring night are all in abundance: a friendly vibe, scores of people, together with generous helpings of alcohol and uplifting hard house.
Resident DJs skilfully keep the tempo high switching from handbag to R&B before serving up deep house at the end of the night.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber reach almost £154,000 on eBay
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
War is war: Why I stand with Israel