Clubbing: Sailors, 15 Fore Street, Newquay, Cornwall
Sailors, 15 Fore Street, Newquay, Cornwall (01637 872838). Thur/Fri/Sat , 9.30pm till late (ladies free before 10.30 on Sat) pounds 3
Saturday 07 December 1996
"Sailors", which boasted the longest queue, seemed the most enticing. Progress into the club is painfully slow but a well-placed chippie offered hot and greasy fortification against the robust Cornish weather.
Inside, Sailors is huge. The main dance floor on the lower section is dominated by a vast video screen relaying 100 MTV-style images per second.
The bare elements required for an alluring night are all in abundance: a friendly vibe, scores of people, together with generous helpings of alcohol and uplifting hard house.
Resident DJs skilfully keep the tempo high switching from handbag to R&B before serving up deep house at the end of the night.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland