Clubbing: Sailors, 15 Fore Street, Newquay, Cornwall
Sailors, 15 Fore Street, Newquay, Cornwall (01637 872838). Thur/Fri/Sat , 9.30pm till late (ladies free before 10.30 on Sat) pounds 3
Saturday 07 December 1996
"Sailors", which boasted the longest queue, seemed the most enticing. Progress into the club is painfully slow but a well-placed chippie offered hot and greasy fortification against the robust Cornish weather.
Inside, Sailors is huge. The main dance floor on the lower section is dominated by a vast video screen relaying 100 MTV-style images per second.
The bare elements required for an alluring night are all in abundance: a friendly vibe, scores of people, together with generous helpings of alcohol and uplifting hard house.
Resident DJs skilfully keep the tempo high switching from handbag to R&B before serving up deep house at the end of the night.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures