Friday 13 January 1995
TV figures of this magnitude do not often hit the road. Can you remember the last time Henry's wife, Dawn French, or Harry Enfield went out on tour? But Lenny loves the buzz of live comedy.
On previous tours, the audience has been like putty in his hand as he gives them his "big, big lurve". When his sensational soul singer Theophilus P Wildebeeste asks them, "have you got any African in you?", there are whoops of anticipation before he follows up with the tried and trusted punchline, "do you want some?" And his formidable Jamaican mother has audiences trembling with fear as much as mirth. His newer creations - like the spoof Welsh rappers, Taffies With Attitude, and the Amazonian supermodel Deeva - live up to that form.
See Lenny live and unleashed and die.
Lenny Henry is at the New Victoria Theatre, Woking (0483 761144) on Monday, and at the Wycombe Swan, St Mary St, High Wycombe (0494 512000) on Tuesday
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 2 Orange Is The New Black has not been cancelled – it was a hoax
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action