Observations: Stand up for some teen angst
Friday 27 March 2009
"My life is essentially a string of embarrassing and shameful incidents punctuated only by telling people about the embarrassing and shameful incidents." So runs Russell Brand's stand-up credo. He's not alone: comedians thrive on embarrassment – of their hecklers, of their family, of their hapless front-row fans and, more often than not, of themselves. So what better segment of society to participate in a new exercise in shameless soul-baring on Radio 4? In a new series, My Teenage Diary (starting next Wednesday at 11pm), six stand-ups will dust off their adolescent journals and read out, Adrian Mole-style, their angstiest extracts for our amusement.
First up is Richard Herring, who reveals himself to have been a precociously engaged and politicised youth, calling for the abolition of the monarchy and noting his thoughts on a biography of Gandhi ("Am v impressed. I think we would have had a lot to share.") Happily, it's not long before the classic dissatisfied teen surfaces – "My mum is pathetic. She's so immature. In fact, I hate the whole fabric of society" – along with those first awkward interactions with the opposite sex: "Pushed two sweet wrappers down Sarah's cleavage..."
Each 15-minute segment ends with the song that most sums up the subject's teenage years. Future readers include Josie Long and Russell Kane: listen out for a recurring thread about his school textile project and the hilarious poem, title "Bitch", dedicated to a cheating first love.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans