Edinburgh 2013: Former salesman Rob Auton raises bar with Cadbury gag to win funniest joke of the year award
Funniest joke prize taken by 30-year-old Rob Auton – and his Chinese Wispa
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Tuesday 20 August 2013
A comedian and poet who recently gave up his job selling paint brushes to perform full time has come up with officially the funniest joke of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
The sixth annual battle at the festival for the best one liner was fiercely contested, with Rob Auton beating out competition from former winner Tim Vine and Edinburgh veteran Marcus Brigstocke.
The line that won Dave’s Funniest Joke of The Fringe ran: “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
The 30-year-old from York has been performing stand-up comedy, sometimes described as “stand up poetry” since 2008 on an impulse, and his line secured almost a quarter of the votes for the funniest wisecrack.
Auton is performing The Sky Show at the Free Fringe, but the one-liner came from a sideline gig at Comedy After Lunch.
The comedian said he was “just pleased that a joke that tackles the serious issue of the invention of a new chocolate bar can be laughed at by the people of Britain”.
The second most popular line was spoken by Alex Horne: “I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying.”
A joke by Alfie Moore, the policeman-turned-comedian, came in third. “I’m in a same-sex marriage… the sex is always the same.”
Vine, known for his quick-fire one liners, is never far from the top of the annual list. This year his quip “My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him: ‘Don’t be Sicily’” came in fourth.
Canadian comic Stewart Francis won the prize in 2012 for the joke: “You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks.”
The Top 10 Funniest Jokes from the Fringe Festival 2013
- Rob Auton - “I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.”
- Alex Horne - “I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying.”
- Alfie Moore - “I’m in a same-sex marriage… the sex is always the same.”
- Tim Vine - “My friend told me he was going to a fancy dress party as an Italian island. I said to him ‘Don’t be Sicily.’”
- Gary Delaney - “I can give you the cause of anaphylactic shock in a nutshell.”
- Phil Wang - “The Pope is a lot like Doctor Who. He never dies, just keeps being replaced by white men.”
- Marcus Brigstocke - “You know you are fat when you hug a child and it gets lost.”
- Liam Williams - “The universe implodes. No matter.”
- Bobby Mair - “I was adopted at birth and have never met my mum. That makes it very difficult to enjoy any lapdance.”
- Chris Coltrane - “The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately.”
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Kim Sears responds to swearing controversy with 'parental advisory' T-shirt at Andy Murray's Australian Open final
Daniel Radcliffe deemed 'not marketable' without his English accent
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign