Edinburgh Comedy Awards nominees announced
Wednesday 22 August 2012
Nominees have been announced for the Edinburgh Comedy Awards.
Stand-up Josie Long has been nominated as best show for the third year in a row.
Claudia O'Doherty, Doctor Brown, James Acaster, Tony Law and sketch team Pappy's are also in the running for the £10,000 prize.
Previous winners of the Foster's award, formerly known as the Perrier, are Steve Coogan, Frank Skinner and Harry Hill.
The five nominees for the £5,000 best newcomer prize are Daniel Simonsen, David Trent, Discover Ben Target, Joe Lycett and Sam Fletcher.
The winners will be announced on Saturday during a lunchtime ceremony at Dovecot Studios in Edinburgh.
Nica Burns, producer of the awards, said: "The nominees sum up an extraordinarily inventive year for comedy at this year's Fringe.
"The shows demonstrate all the comedic art forms: stand-up, mime, sketch and multimedia experimentation.
"The performers are all immensely charismatic and often thought-provoking whilst being extremely funny. Two excellent nomination lists."
Nominations for best comedy show are:
- Claudia O'Doherty, The Telescope
- Doctor Brown, Befrdfgth
- James Acaster, Prompt
- Josie Long, Romance And Adventure
- Pappy's, Last Show Ever!
- Tony Law, Maximum Nonsense.
Nominations for best newcomer are:
- Daniel Simonsen, Champions
- David Trent, Spontaneous Comedian
- Discover Ben Target
- Joe Lycett, Some Lycett Hot
- Sam Fletcher, Good On Paper
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Laughs go global as Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran bring international comedians to the Edinburgh Fringe
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women