Edinburgh Festival opens amid rows and controversy
Fringe veteran calls for squabbles to end as playwright is criticised over opening speech
Nick Clark
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Sunday 04 August 2013
Related articles
The head of one of the Edinburgh Fringe's largest comedy venues has slammed the "petty bickering" between clubs and taken a swipe at the comedian Stewart Lee.
William Burdett-Coutts, the director of the Assembly, said he "abhored" what he described as media-inspired "petty bickering" which turned the Fringe into "some kind of internecine war, where venue battles venue".
Speaking at the launch of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Mr Burdett-Coutts's barbed comment that "one unnamed comedian can become the saint of division and dissent" was widely understood to refer to Lee's comments last year over the commercialisation of some of the Fringe venues.
Lee wrote an article criticising the so-called "Big Four" venues, which have created the Edinburgh Comedy Festival, saying they were profit-obsessed and their actions were having a negative impact. The piece was headlined "The slow death of the Fringe". The Assembly, the Underbelly, the Pleasance and the Gilded Balloon form the Fringe's key venues.
Mr Burdett-Coutts, who is at the start of his 35th Fringe year, appealed to people to work together to make "more not less of this event" and stated that the wonder of the Fringe was "that anyone can do it".
The Assembly, which is running 14 theatres this year, has a programme of about 150 shows. He added that the ecosystem of the Fringe was fragile and implored the media: "if you can, don't stand on the coral".
The world's biggest arts festival launched on Friday and is set to include 2,871 shows performed by 24,107 artists during the month.
Despite Mr Burdett-Coutts's pleas, the playwright Mark Ravenhill's launch speech provoked a furious response. It is reported that Ravenhill claimed that arts funding cuts could be "a good thing" as artists could be less "safe and well behaved". He added that the performing arts had been compromised by a "cosy" relationship with funders over the past 15 years and that artists "weren't telling the truth" about the world often enough when public funding was more plentiful.
Yesterday, Ravenhill told The Independent on Sunday his speech had been misreported. He said he had simply called on "artists to consider the real possibility that there could be an end to public investment in the arts," and that had been misconstrued as being supportive of the cuts.
"To clarify," he said, "I'm not putting on the gimp suit of austerity. I'm not hopping in to bed for a threesome with George Osborne and Maria Miller."
Arts & Ents blogs
Travel Shop
Four nights from £669pp, seven nights from £999pp or 13 nights from £2,199pp Find out more
-
Jonathan Romney on Only God Forgives: Ryan Gosling's revenge... a dish best not served at all
-
Jodie Foster rushes to aid of Jamie Lee Curtis who is hospitalised after car crash
-
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
-
TV review: I Love My Country - Be patriotic and turn off your set right now
-
All bets off as BBC prepares to unveil new Doctor Who
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes






