McIntyre hurt by 'nasty' remarks of fellow comics on awards night
Sunday 17 July 2011
The comedian Michael McIntyre has told how a career-capping night of triumph descended into "nastiness" that left him feeling wretched at an awards event in January.
The Britain's Got Talent judge said he was left feeling "awful", despite being named best male comic at the British Comedy Awards, when he became the butt of other artists' jokes.
In an interview broadcast on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs today, he said he was initially shocked by the reaction he provoked among other performers.
Stewart Lee has talked of McIntyre "spoon-feeding" his audience "warm diarrhoea".
"I can't say it's water off a duck's back and I'm so thick-skinned. I can't just say that.
"I can say it now because I'm getting used to it. but it did come as a shock at the beginning."
McIntyre was tens of thousands of pounds in debt before he finally had a break.
But he told the Desert Island Discs presenter Kirsty Young that he found his award "confusing" because it was accompanied by "an amazing amount of hostility" from fellow comedians.
"I would never be rude about somebody else in my profession because we all do this same thing. We're just trying to make people laugh."
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter