Jessica Ransom: Unsung Heroes, Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh
Thursday 18 August 2011
"If I was a song, I'd be a Lighthouse Family B-side." So begins Jessica Ransom's hour dedicated to the unsung heroes of everyday life, the humdrum types no-one pays attention to, unless they happen to have a Fringe show to perform.
In an irresistible feelgood hour, Ransom gives voice to an unlikely set of stars, from a Downton Abbey maid to a bounty hunter-turned-personal trainer, from the downtrodden to the downright odd. The talking heads are intercut with nifty visual jokes on the big screen she ducks behind for her rapid-fire costume changes.
A regular on The Armstrong & Miller Show, Ransom is a superb comic actress. But there are plenty of zingy lines too and she works the crowd like a pro. Some characters are better written than others – I particularly liked the nervy wife of a tyrannical celebrity chef – but she is so likeable that the odd weak moment passes in a flash. Even a reticent front-row stooge is unable to resist her perky charm for long.
Ransom has performed with Adam Riches – we see the same slightly screwy characters and the same build-up of energy and warmth in the room, leading up to a great big silly hug of an ending.
To 29 August (0131 556 6550)
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 2 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 3 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 4 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
- 5 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams to make special guest appearance in Doctor Who
Cassetteboy joins forces with Russell Brand for Emperor's New Clothes film
Poldark, review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Jay Z launches streaming service Tidal with help from Kanye West, Rihanna and Coldplay
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew