critic's choice MUSIC
Friday 24 February 1995
New York rappers who made a favourable impression here with the album Niggamortis. Their tales are from the dark side, but definitely not gangsta- orientated.
Thurs 2 Mar, Subterania, W10
Mary Lou Lord
Left-field, hot-hearted singer-songwriter whom Courtney Love wants to kill (she used to go out with Kurt Cobain before Courtney married him). Her current album is presently collecting accolades.
Tomorrow, Water Rats, WC1
An Indian in London
Starting on Sunday, "An Indian in London" runs weekends and Wednesdays for a fortnight in the Union Chapel Studio Theatre. It's a chance to sample resident, traditional South Asian musical talent. Not all the big British- based names are appearing, but there's a good range of classical Indian styles, instrumentalists and singers, and later some jazz cross-over work from Talvin Singh. Catch the festival launch at 3pm free, with drama, stalls and food promised.
Sun 26 Feb & Wed 1 Mar, Union Chapel Studio Theatre, Islington, N1
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God