The history of the map now switches to London where, in 1854, William Frederick De La Rue (a wholesale stationer of 118 Bunhill Row) was elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. The following year, at a meeting of the RGS Council on 8 January 1855, it was recorded in the minutes that a letter had been received from WF De La Rue, 'enclosing a map of Germany found by Colonel Coutan of Paris in the sabretash of General Zieten, 16 June 1815.'
The map itself was engraved by Johann Carl Ausfeld and published in Frankfurt by Friedrich Wilmans in 1808. The use of the map to allied commanders was in its depiction of the frequency of the postal service and the distance (in German miles) between principal towns. The most notable characteristic of Ausfeld's engraved style is the incredibly tiny and delicate calligraphy, which is a feature of all of his maps within the RGS Map Room.
Francis Herbert is Curator of Maps at the Royal Geographical Society, London, SW7 (071-589 5466). The RGS Map Room is open to the general public 10am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Photograph omitted)Reuse content