DANCE: EVENT OF THE WEEK
Saturday 22 August 1998
The Great Outdoors, South Bank
Lea Anderson's obsession with beachwear and sporty doings has gone back for another dip in her latest work Out on the Windy Beach. She uses three dancers from the all-female group The Cholmondeleys and three from the all-male Featherstonehaughs to explore the iconography of seaside pursuits. The campy, kitsch trappings of the day trip are juxtaposed with the more threatening aspect of the elements. Anderson's sun-lovers live in fear of their god and encase themselves in full protective gear. While her ideas are larger than her movement vocabulary, she always picks very sexy collaborators, uses great promotional shots and manages to turn out consistently attractive work. The music was supplied by Steve Blake and the gorgeous day-glo beachwear by Sandy Powell.
The Great Outdoors, South Bank, London SE1 (0171 960 4242). Tomorrow, 23 Aug, 2pm & 6pm
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government