Design: Shopping News
STILL AGONISING over how to celebrate the Year 2000? The Millennium table from Scottish artist Mark Stoddart is cast in bronze and features a 20in-high representation of the Apollo 11 lunar-landing module beneath a 45in-diameter top of polished glass. As well as being an eccentric platform on which to rest the millennial champagne, the tables can also be used as time capsules. Call Sculpt Art Creations on 01292 443103 or visit www.sculptart.co.uk
UME (PRONOUNCED YouMe), the new collection from Ross Urwin, includes hand-carved sofas, stools, coffee tables and a range of smaller pieces such as fruit bowls, ceremonial Dulangs and a selection of antique pieces. Prices range from pounds 7 to pounds 2,000. The Loading Bay Gallery, The Old Truman Brewery, Dray Walk, London E1 (0171-603 3225)
WHAT DO you buy the Sloane who has everything? Well, if you have pounds 60 to burn, you could do worse than a Gucci oven glove, part of a new range which will be available in the London store for the next two months. Other must-haves include a mouse-mat (pounds 40), condom-holder (pounds 35), apron (pounds 170) and the most stylish dog-chews around (pounds 20). Available at 18 Sloane Street, London SW1 (0171-235 6707)
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government