Details competition no 421
Sunday 21 February 1999
Answers on a postcard, to arrive by Monday 1 March: DETAILS 421, IoS, 1 Canada Square, London E14 5DL. Three winners will each receive a bottle of champagne
Details 419 came from William Hogarth's The Lady's Last Stake - also known as Piquet or Virtue in Danger (1758-9). It was his last "modern moral subject", and untypically straightforward. One of the perks of doing contemporary life dilemma-scenes was that you could leave quite a lot in the air. But this picture was pegged to a current play of the same name - and so how the gambling lady got into the fix (blamelessly), and if she'll get out of it (yes, by a squeak), are closed questions. The gripping hand is the most gripping bit. It's in the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York.
The first three correct entries came from: M Taylor, Kingston upon Hull; J Faulkner, Eydon; M Copp, Sudbury
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Kim Sears responds to swearing controversy with 'parental advisory' T-shirt at Andy Murray's Australian Open final
Daniel Radcliffe deemed 'not marketable' without his English accent
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign