Digital, Cable and Satellite Television: Pick of the Day
Monday 13 September 1999
North by Northwest (9pm TNT) showcases the talent of another cinematic genius, Alfred Hitchcock, with his compelling study of contemporary paranoia. Cary Grant plays an advertising executive who is forced to flee New York when he is mistaken for a US intelligence agent by a pack of foreign spies, headed by James Mason. Extraordinary set pieces (such as the crop-dusting scene and flight from Mount Rushmore) plus fine performances (from Grant and Eva Marie Saint as the femme fatale), show Hitchcock at his teasing best.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Arts & Ents blogs
Heavy rain and years of 'benign neglect' may have caused Apollo Theatre roof collapse
Christmas TV guide 2013: Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
Justin Bieber isn't retiring from music after all
The Harry Hill Movie, film review: Screenplay isn't so much offbeat as utterly feeble
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- < Previous
- Next >