DIRECTOR'S CUT / Great Expectations: Joel Schumacher on Great Expectations
Friday 09 July 1993
It so affected me that I couldn't sleep for months with the lights off totally in the small apartment where we lived. But more importantly, I knew that I wanted to do this to people some day. I didn't know what a director was, and I wasn't even sure I knew there was a director. But I wanted to make this happen; I never wanted to be an actor. I went to the library and got out books on marionettes; I started building a stage and marionettes.
It had such a profound effect on me. And the next movie I'm going to make, The Client, is about an 11-year-old boy. At the beginning he's in the woods and a terrifying thing happens to him; someone leaps out of nowhere and it affects the rest of his life. So I'm actually going to get to do this scene myself] I'm a very lucky fellow.
Joel Schumacher is the director of 'Falling Down'.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head