EDINBURGH FESTIVAL '98: Theatre: Charm of moonstruck jester
JASON BYRNE CAMPING ON THE MOON PLEASANCE
Friday 14 August 1998
This is look-at-me-mum petulance made art form. It's so good natured and exuberant that it would take an icy heart to resist its charms, but so quick to seize on a comic moment that it never feels like wading through lovingly crafted material. If there was any: Byrne's touch is so deft that it all seems improvised.
Whether it's the telling of his theory of Riverdance's true beginnings (there were some drunken Irish villagers whose fists were too big for their arms to move above their waists) or a barbed one-liner ("Where are you from?" "Edinburgh." "Lazy bastard."), there's no mistaking the mark of a court jester for the end of the millennium. And no-one can flirt with an audience using a latex hand on a stick quite like Jason Byrne can.
Runs until 31 Aug (0131-556 6550)
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict