Edinburgh Festival '99: Pick of the Day - The five must-see shows
Monday 09 August 1999
Assembly Rooms, Venue 3, 4.45pm, pounds 8.00
Russians on stilts totter tantalisingly through a comedy of intensely
The Nualas in `The
Big Shiny Dress Tour'
Assembly Ballroom, Venue 3, 6.50pm, pounds 8.50
Sequin chic and bone-dry wit from the Irish trio. Sure to be a sell-out.
Huun Huur Tu: Throat Singers of Tuvan
Greyfriars Kirk, Venue 131, 11.45pm, pounds 10.00
Mystical, meditative over-tone humming: you'll find it hard to believe that the human voice can produce such a glorious noise.
The Wildman Room, Assembly Rooms, Venue 3, 8.45pm, pounds 9.00
Alabama-born Vic Henley does for rednecks what ketchup does for sausages: manages to make them both delicious and digestible.
Pleasance One, Venue 33, 10pm, pounds 9.50
Ventriloquist David Strassman gives a show that's just too scary for puppets. Not one for the faint of heart...
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Edinburgh Fringe 2015: Monty Python-inspired Australian Sam Simmons wins comedy award with 'very silly' show
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge?'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says jobless migrants should be banned from entering the UK