Edinburgh Festival '99: Pick of the Day - The five must-see shows
Monday 09 August 1999
Assembly Rooms, Venue 3, 4.45pm, pounds 8.00
Russians on stilts totter tantalisingly through a comedy of intensely
The Nualas in `The
Big Shiny Dress Tour'
Assembly Ballroom, Venue 3, 6.50pm, pounds 8.50
Sequin chic and bone-dry wit from the Irish trio. Sure to be a sell-out.
Huun Huur Tu: Throat Singers of Tuvan
Greyfriars Kirk, Venue 131, 11.45pm, pounds 10.00
Mystical, meditative over-tone humming: you'll find it hard to believe that the human voice can produce such a glorious noise.
The Wildman Room, Assembly Rooms, Venue 3, 8.45pm, pounds 9.00
Alabama-born Vic Henley does for rednecks what ketchup does for sausages: manages to make them both delicious and digestible.
Pleasance One, Venue 33, 10pm, pounds 9.50
Ventriloquist David Strassman gives a show that's just too scary for puppets. Not one for the faint of heart...
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- < Previous
- Next >