Edinburgh Festival: Diary
Thursday 20 August 1998
Indifference is my greatest failing. "To what?" you ask. I don't care, is my reply. "Listen, I'm serious," you say. Ignore me, I'm joking, I reply. But this is no argument, just the prelude to a fight.
Why get up? What for? There's nothing to do. Nothing that needs to be done. There are things that should be done, I am informed, by the voices. You'd think, in deference to my indifference, they'd shut up. Or at least stop poking me. I'm letting the side down, apparently.
I distrust them. The word "should" makes no sense to me in this Godless afternoon. And if I got up, what then? More of the same, if not worse. At least here in bed I am minimising my debts. Please send me money. Show time approaches. The Edinburgh festival is the biggest arts festival in the world. The World Cup of Art. Every show is the Final. Today I am Ronaldo. Mais demain? - Zidane!
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Google search history can now be downloaded in its entirety, mass embarrassment expected
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers Age of Ultron 'after credits' scene leaks online days before cinema release
Groundhog Day musical to premiere at Old Vic from Matilda theatre director
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments