Edinburgh Festival: Side view: A taxi driver speaks
Seventeen years I've been a cabbie and the one thing I've learnt is to avoid the centre of town during the Festival. The only times it's as busy is during rugby matches and the Christmas shopping: but the Festival lasts longer. I drive from 10am to 10pm during the Festival, longer at weekends. I don't see any shows as I'm too busy earning money. I can't wait for it to finish so I can go on holiday. This year I've had less business than usual. I think more tourists are coming in big coach parties. You get a different type of customer in August - all actors, or if they're not actors they'd like to be. Ninety-nine per cent are well behaved and the one per cent that isn't only ask to be taken to the wrong place and then get angry afterwards. All those actors and the only one I've ever recognised is Jean Boht off Bread.
Arts & Ents blogs
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Gareth Bale agrees new £130,000-a-week Tottenham contract - but can leave next season for £50m
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.