Mark Watson: The Information, Assembly George Square, Edinburgh
This latest offering from the breathless, neurotic nerd Mark Watson, known for, among other things, his “non speaking roles” on Mock the Week, constantly suggests that it is going to amount to something more than it is.
The theme of the show is how information on the internet can be used for, against and on behalf of the individual. A year ago, Dave Gorman played the same venue with a show on a similar theme. One example he cited was the spreading of the harmless myth that he was a Jewish comedian. The same thing, we discover, has happened to Watson, further underlining the similarities between the two shows.
Gorman, inevitably, tackled the theme with plenty of bells and whistles. Watson has a screen but it merely projects his mobile number and social media details to allow the audience to contact him throughout the show and thus illustrate his points about instant knowledge and validation.
It’s not the low-maintenance feel of the show that is the issue, however. It is that it constantly builds up a head of nervous steam that fails to lead anywhere. Still there are plenty of chuckles to be had in the goofing about inbetween and Watson’s Vaudevillian rhythms. He muses, for example, on calling Princess Kate “a PILF, if you will. I won’t. I suspect you can get hanged for that.”
To 27 August, not 13, 20 (0131 623 3030)
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >