ETCETERA / Bridge
Sunday 14 February 1993
Playing a strong, no-trump North was reduced to opening One Diamond. East, rather boldly, overcalled with Two Clubs and, not to be outdone, South bid Two Hearts. West tried Two Spades, North raised his partner's hearts and East bid Three Spades. South persevered with four Hearts and, when West pushed on to four Spades and North doubled, he went on to Five Hearts. West's double completed a lively auction.
West led the ace of clubs and switched to the ten of spades. He would hardly have done this if he held the king of spades, so declarer went up with the ace. It seemed clear that Four Spades would have made and declarer's problem lay in conceding only 300 points instead of 500. The whereabouts of the nine of diamonds (always known as 'the Curse of Scotland') was critical.
After winning the spade declarer drew trumps with the queen and king. Then came a diamond to the eight. The sight of West's queen was good news and, after the defenders had cashed their club trick, South ruffed the next club and went over to the ace of hearts for the next diamond play. The ten lost to the ace and a ninth trick had been salvaged.
Was this a happy ending? Not really, for not many East-West pairs had advanced as far as Four Spades . . .
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world