FABERGE FOR SALE, AT A PRICE
Sunday 06 April 1997
The collection at Christie's comprises 160 items and was formed by His Excellency William Kazan, a native of Beirut, whose family originally hailed from central Russia. The star of the sale is the Pine Cone Easter Egg which has an estimated value of $3.5m to $4.5m. The four-inch egg is decorated with blue enamel and festoons of rose-cut diamonds. It opens up to reveal a mahout riding on an elephant which walks along when wound up.
The sale also contains two pieces which belonged to the imperial family. One is a gem-set portrait miniature of the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna (estimate $8,000 to $10,000). The other is a gold and enamel brooch in a presentation case which records that it was a gift from Nicholas II's mother, Maria Feodorovna ($12,000 to $16,000). The latter belonged, for a time, to Elton John.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl performs with broken leg seated on massive throne made of guitars
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget