Fashion: A Clean Start
Begin the New Year in a spirit of pure but sensual minimalism: look to the future in fresh white cotton, linen and softest cashmere. Your resolution? To keep life simple
Sunday 04 January 1998
Facing page, top: pillow- case, as before; white cotton drawstring pyjamas, pounds 155, and grey rug, pounds 75, both by Margaret Howell, 29 Beauchamp Place, London, SW3 (enq: 0171 584 2462)
Facing page, bottom: ready wrapped pure vegetable soaps, pounds 7.95 each, by Helitrope, and stone vase, pounds 32, both from The Conran Shop, 81 Fulham Rd, SW3 (enq: 0171 589 7401); white Lycra vest, pounds 23, as before; nine- hole cement candlestick holder, pounds 22.95, from Judy Greens Garden Store, 11 Flask Walk, NW3 (enq: 0171 435 3832); drawstring shoe bag, pounds 18, from Margaret Howell, as before
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Eminem, Drake and Jay Z among Spotify's most-streamed artists of 2013
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Hate With Friends: Now you can find out who your Facebook frenemies are
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert