Friday 16 June 1995
I'm usually in the water by 6.30am. I do a peculiar sort of sidestroke and occasionally the backstroke. I'm not a hard swimmer or fast swimmer, in fact I'm quite slow. But what's important is finding your own rhythm and breathing properly.
If you swim, you don't have the horrible feeling of sweat dripping down your back - exercise is as much about something that is good for your mental image of yourself as working on your body. I come out of the pool feeling clean and whole.
The real joy of having my own pool is that I can swim in the nude. It's a very sexual experience and, of course, swimminguses all the muscle groups and burns calories at a steady rate. This idea that you have to suffer when you exercise is anything but healthy. I suspect that after 'going for the burn', osteopaths in 20 years will be making a fortune.
All in all, I do 10 lengths. I'm in and out of the water in 37 and a half minutes precisely. Then I have a shower ... the day has started."
Interview by Nick Walker
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures