FILM / Production Notes: By Stephen Herek, the director of the latest film version of The Three Musketeers
Tuesday 22 March 1994
'At first it was rather daunting because immediately you're going to be compared to the others. So when I started the project, I stayed away from the other movies and tried to develop my own point of view. Only about halfway through the pre-production process did I look at them to make sure that I wasn't copying them and I was relieved because I felt that, in tone, we were quite different.
'The version I responded to the most was the one with Gene Kelly (1948) - very swashbuckling and the fighting had a lot of excitement, almost like a dance. In Richard Lester's version (1973), a lot of it was very gruelling - realistic perhaps, but I wanted to bring back the dance, the fairy-tale quality. Richard did a wonderful job being anachronistically witty about history, but I had no such intentions. Dumas was writing fiction anyway, so we didn't pay that much attention to historical accuracy.
'What we tried to do with production and costume design, and even with dialogue, was to update, to give it a historical flavour but to be a bit hip. And where all the other versions have followed the book pretty closely, we distanced ourselves from it. Basically, I wanted to have fun - to make it a roller-coaster ride.'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure