Agenda: Jim Loach; Twenty Twelve; TV On The Radio; Birds Eye View Festival
Sunday 06 March 2011
Fashion: Chain letters
An ideal new-season buy for the bookworm and the party girl alike: spell out your fashion credentials with these perky Scrabble necklaces, as seen bedecking the necks of the great and the glamorous at last month's Fashion Week shows. Points are irrelevant, as are triple word scores – instead, just enjoy the fact that you're allowed to peek as you pull the tiles out of the bag. These pearls of verbal dexterity are available with a classic cream plastic (£8) or 24-carat gold (£45) tile at scrabblependants.blogspot.com
Face to watch: Jim Loach
The son of directing legend Ken has inherited dad's taste for riling consciences, judging by his debut feature Oranges and Sunshine. Released next month, it explores the scandal that saw 130,000 care-home children deported to Australia
Lexpionage: Diorhoea, n.
The act of evacuating a toxic, flamboyant organism whose odious bile threatens the robust health of the host body, its essential values and its relationship with Oscar shoo-ins
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Janelle Monáe, Mark Ruffalo, Lady Gaga, Danny DeVito
1. Appreciate your "unique" features. Embrace them
2. Mom and Dad, Thanks for telling me I would be okay if I left home and went to LA. Thanks for helping me when you couldn't afford it. Love U.
3. On G.O.A.T a Government Owned Territory in Space... 120 SECONDS
4. Listenin to Bob Dylan always makes me happy. I need Bob. Lucky to have him. Ya'll have a great day...
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch #8: iTrump
This virtual pocket trumpet is just the thing to rouse the spirits: blow on the microphone to start tootling, tap the touchscreen "valve pads" to set the pitch, and you're away. You can either jam along to your music library, or learn how to play one of its "song-book" tunes using the step-by-step guides. Available from iTunes
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about...
TV: Twenty Twelve
People Like Us writer John Morton ribs the Olympic organisers in a mocku-series starring Jessica Hynes and Hugh Bonneville. Catch the trailer at bbc.in/hLCAeA before it kicks off on 14 March
Music: TV On The Radio
Clear some ear space for the return of these Brooklyn art-rock alchemists – their new single, trip-hop-flavoured soul reverie "Will Do", is among their most plainly gorgeous grooves yet
Film: Birds Eye View Festival
This London-based celebration of female directors is a small but perfectly programmed gem. Highlights include Susanne Bier's Oscar winner In a Better World. Tuesday to 17 March
Match the tweet: 1. Janelle Monae; 2. Mark Ruffalo; 3. Lady Gaga; 4. Danny DeVito
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Doctor Who kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >