Cultural Life: Edgar Wright, director
Friday 29 January 2010
My dream day would involve seeing if I could cram in four movies. Last year I saw around 70 films at the cinema. I'll gain just as much from watching something god-awful as something great. My favourites included 'Inglourious Basterds', 'District 9', 'Star Trek', 'Up in the Air' and 'Fish Tank'.
I watch both 'TV Burp' and 'Newswipe' religiously. I devour a lot of box sets, mainly comedies like 'Eastbound & Down'. The ongoing saga of the American talk shows; the Leno/Conan debacle is quite epic and it's terribly exciting seeing them all rip on each other and savage their network.
My last year was soundtracked by Air, Animal Collective, Bat for Lashes, Fuck Buttons, Grizzly Bear, Major Lazer, Metric and Kid Koala's scratch-rock outfit, The Slew.
Don't see as much as I should, but did catch 'Enron', 'A Streetcar Named Desire', 'War Horse' and Stewart Lee's 'If You Would Like a Milder Comedian Please Ask for One'. He gets better with every passing year.
Edgar Wright is a judge on the Jameson Empire Awards Done in 60 Seconds short film competition. The winner will be announced at the Award ceremony on 28 March. To vote visit Empireonline.com/awards2010
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations