Film festival of the week: Bradford International Film Festival, various venues, Bradford
Friday 05 April 2013
An eclectic director for an eclectic festival, Michael Winterbottom opens Bradford's Film Festival with his biopic of porn king Paul Raymond, The Look of Love (starring Steve Coogan).
The next 10 days brim with riches, from a celebration of Indian cinema's centenary to new films from Susanne Bier, Bernardo Bertolucci Joss Whedon and others.
Also packed in are tributes to Russia's Alexey Balabanov, Bradford's CH Wood and Stan Brakhage, plus strands devoted to ultra-indie US films, the Austrian distributor sixpackfilm and, for those with the stamina, after-dark genre-manglers.
0844 856 3797; nationalmediamuseum.org.uk, Thursday to 21 April
educationTo mark International Women's Day, Sarah Brown on how charities have brought proper joined-up thinking to the delivery of education
Arts & Ents blogs
Jared Leto: Best Supporting Actor Oscar sparks backlash from transgender community
In Kony's shadow: Shocking photographs reveal brutality of Lord's Resistance Army
Captain Phillips actor Barkhad Abdi struggles despite Oscar nomination
Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill set for new film penned by Captain Phillips screenwriter Billy Ray
First clip of Outkast's Andre 3000 in Jimi Hendrix biopic All Is By My Side emerges
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Sir Patrick Stewart patches into David Cameron and Barack Obama's Ukraine talks with packet of wet wipes
- 4 Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
- 5 Man stabbed with Legend of Zelda Master Sword in serious condition