Film festival of the week: Bradford International Film Festival, various venues, Bradford
Friday 05 April 2013
An eclectic director for an eclectic festival, Michael Winterbottom opens Bradford's Film Festival with his biopic of porn king Paul Raymond, The Look of Love (starring Steve Coogan).
The next 10 days brim with riches, from a celebration of Indian cinema's centenary to new films from Susanne Bier, Bernardo Bertolucci Joss Whedon and others.
Also packed in are tributes to Russia's Alexey Balabanov, Bradford's CH Wood and Stan Brakhage, plus strands devoted to ultra-indie US films, the Austrian distributor sixpackfilm and, for those with the stamina, after-dark genre-manglers.
0844 856 3797; nationalmediamuseum.org.uk, Thursday to 21 April
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
TVBBC hopes latest Danish import will spell success
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Which country would be hardest to invade?
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 5 Royal baby girl born: Duchess of Cambridge's second child will be a princess thanks to Queen
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils