From Comic-Con to mainstream cinemas: Here be monster hits
Yesterday saw the end of this year’s Comic-Con, during which geeks descend on San Diego to be whipped up into a frenzy about the release of new sci-fi and action movies. But which films does Trending back to cross over to mass non-geek appeal?
Harrison Ford stars in this dystopian thriller. Following an alien war (what else?), a child is sent to military school in space to prepare for the next invasion. Although 6,000 people turned up for a panel with the cast at Comic-Con, many may have just turned up for a a glimpse of Han Solo.
After the station she shares with George Clooney explodes, Sandra Bullock is stranded in space. Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, this intelligent sci-fi is is the only movie that will make an appearance at both Comic-Con and the Venice Film Festival (unbelievably Lego: The Movie didn’t make it to Venice)
The Mortal Instruments
It’s this year’s Hunger Games! Based on the YA fantasy novels, Lily Collins plays a New York teenager who discovers she is in fact a half-human, half-angel “shadowhunter”. There are six books in the series so expect half a decade’s worth of films.
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
Arts & Ents blogs
Ukip election posters: Nigel Farage defends 'racist' campaign anti-immigration campaign ahead of Europe elections
Is Britain really a land of God? Furious debate after David Cameron claims we are a Christian country
An open letter to Nigel Farage: you may smile, but I am not seduced
Ukip leader Nigel Farage defends employing German wife, at launch of anti-immigration poster campaign
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
David Cameron's constituency office calls police on food bank campaigners Bishop of Oxford and Reverend Keith Hebden
- 1 David Cameron's constituency office calls police on food bank campaigners Bishop of Oxford and Reverend Keith Hebden
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Women take on Bear Grylls over 'sexist' male-only desert island show
- 4 Ultra-Orthodox Jews are resisting new laws which force them to join the army
- 5 Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Concerns grow among search officials that missing jet ‘may have landed somewhere else’