Gallery: Best Picture Oscar milestones
'The Artist' is the first silent film to be nominated for a Best Picture award since 1929
Michel Hazanavicius' silent film The Artist is already shaping up to be the runaway hit of the awards season with twelve Bafta nominations, and six nominations and two wins at the Golden Globes - including for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy.
The Artist now has 10 Oscar nominations and has become first silent film to be selected for Best Picture since the 2nd Academy Awards in 1929, when The Patriot received a nomination. Similarly, if The Artist wins the award, it will be the first black and white film since Spielberg's Schindler's List in 1993.
Over its 84 years, the Academy Awards has seen a number of other milestones, and where better to look than in the prestigious category of Best Picture?
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations