New blood for British horror in Cruel Britannia season
The fourth film by Simon Rumley, enfant terrible of British horror, receives its UK TV premiere next month. Starring Roger Lloyd-Pack, The Living and the Dead screens as part of a Cruel Britannia season of horror premieres on the Horror Channel.
The 2006 film is about an aristocratic, poor and reclusive family who descend into madness and self-destruction. "The emotional context of the film is a truly horrific one and because of this I was also keen to make the film a truly disturbing experience, the reality of which I wouldn't wish on anyone," says Rumley.
His latest film, Red, White & Blue, a brutal twist on the revenge movie, is out this summer. It stars Noah Taylor, who is also in Submarine. In Rumley's film he plays a psychopath who is part of a love triangle. The director also got rave reviews for his short film Bitch, about a girl with a phobia of dogs. Part of the psycho-sexual horror anthology film Little Deaths, it screened at the South by Southwest Festival in Texas.
'The Living and the Dead' screens on 29 April as part of the Cruel Britannia season on the Horror Channel, 8 to 29 April (www.horrorchannel.co.uk)
Arts & Ents blogs
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Gareth Bale agrees new £130,000-a-week Tottenham contract - but can leave next season for £50m
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.