The Saturday Miscellany: Lars von Trier vs Werner Herzog; Julian Assange; Queen's Club Championships; Dior Couture
Culture clash: Demanding directors
Lars von Trier vs Werner Herzog
The Danish director has an uncompromising vision – be that of apocalypse, genital mutilation or majestically miserable musicals – but to get there, Lars von Trier makes actors suffer. He told animal-lover John C Reilly he was going to kill a donkey, and nearly broke Björk, who accused him of wanting to “destroy” actresses. Sadistic, yes, but he provokes astonishing performances.
To get the right shot, Werner Herzog – and the German’s long-suffering casts and crews – have filmed on a live volcano, dragged steamships over mountains and nearly drowned in a river. Relations with actor Klaus Kinski were so strained, Herzog threatened to shoot him – and himself. He may make insane demands, but at least he puts himself in peril too.
The winner: Werner Herzog
By Holly Williams
The deleted emails of... Julian Assange (as read by John Walsh)
Date: 30 May 2013
Re: Ecuadorian cookbook proposal
G’day, Gail. I hear you’re the big swinging dick, pardon my language, on the British publishing front, and I want to suggest a likely bestseller.
I’ve been staying at the Ecuador embassy for a year now. I don’t get the chance to get out much, but, staying in, I’ve become familiar with the country’s interesting cuisine. I wanna write “The Ecuadorian Epicure” with recipes, foodie lore, gastroporn snaps, the works.
It’ll cover all aspects of the food I’ve been sampling every night: fried guinea pig, roast guinea pig, potato patty stuffed with cheese, cheese patty stuffed with potato, boiled guinea pig with egg, ditto without egg, yuca with cheese, corn with cheese, boiled yucca with cheesy soup, soupy guinea pig with potato, salad with parasites, ditto without (but with cheese.) Delicious!
Can you let me know soon? And please don’t mention it to anyone. I wouldn’t want word of it, you know, leaking out.
By Ellen E Jones
Q. How many days is it acceptable to go without calling your parents?
A. Don’t think of calling them as a chore: they are the only people biologically-bound to put up with your whinging. Think of it as a chance to offload weaker anecdotes and make loan requests.
By Liam O'Brien
The Queen’s Club Championships attracts top tennis talent: see who’s in form for Wimbledon. 10-16 June, lta.org.uk
Fashion fans will love this show of Dior Couture from the 1940s-50s at the Gallery of Costume. From 12 June, manchestergalleries.org
Beats headphones by Dr Dre are ubiquitous, but perhaps treat your dad to a less garish set from Bose for Father’s Day. AE2W Bluetooth headphones, £199.95, bose.co.uk
- Britain’s MPs added to their salaries with outside earnings of more than £7m over the last session of parliament
- The current annual salary for an MP is £65,738
- In 1993, an MP’s annual salary was £30,854
- The average annual earnings of a full-time worker in Britain are £26,500
- In a recent poll Tory MPs said they should be paid £96,740, while Labour MPs put the figure at £77,322
- US senators pocket an official salary of $174,000 (£115,000)
- In 2010 the median net worth of a sitting US senator was put at $2.63m (£1.7m)
- Kenyan MPs recently increased their salary to around £6,540 a month – 130 times greater than the country’s minimum wage
- New York’s billionaire mayor Michael Bloomberg takes an annual salary of $1 for the job, getting a check each year for 93 cents, with 6 cents going to social security and one cent to Medicare
MPs declare £7m income from other jobs, The Guardian
Members’ pay, pensions and allowances, Parliament.uk
Average earnings rise by 1.4% to £26,500, says ONS, BBC
MPs in line for £20,000 pay rise in move likely to spark public anger, The Independent
Senate Salaries since 1789, Senate.gov
In Congress, nearly half the members are millionaires, MSN Money
Art Somebody is going around telling people he's Banksy - but it isn't the street artist
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 4 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Costa Book Awards 2015: H is for Hawk named book of the year
New Ghostbusters movie lands all-female cast with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures