The Saturday Miscellany: Lars von Trier vs Werner Herzog; Julian Assange; Queen's Club Championships; Dior Couture
Culture clash: Demanding directors
Lars von Trier vs Werner Herzog
The Danish director has an uncompromising vision – be that of apocalypse, genital mutilation or majestically miserable musicals – but to get there, Lars von Trier makes actors suffer. He told animal-lover John C Reilly he was going to kill a donkey, and nearly broke Björk, who accused him of wanting to “destroy” actresses. Sadistic, yes, but he provokes astonishing performances.
To get the right shot, Werner Herzog – and the German’s long-suffering casts and crews – have filmed on a live volcano, dragged steamships over mountains and nearly drowned in a river. Relations with actor Klaus Kinski were so strained, Herzog threatened to shoot him – and himself. He may make insane demands, but at least he puts himself in peril too.
The winner: Werner Herzog
By Holly Williams
The deleted emails of... Julian Assange (as read by John Walsh)
Date: 30 May 2013
Re: Ecuadorian cookbook proposal
G’day, Gail. I hear you’re the big swinging dick, pardon my language, on the British publishing front, and I want to suggest a likely bestseller.
I’ve been staying at the Ecuador embassy for a year now. I don’t get the chance to get out much, but, staying in, I’ve become familiar with the country’s interesting cuisine. I wanna write “The Ecuadorian Epicure” with recipes, foodie lore, gastroporn snaps, the works.
It’ll cover all aspects of the food I’ve been sampling every night: fried guinea pig, roast guinea pig, potato patty stuffed with cheese, cheese patty stuffed with potato, boiled guinea pig with egg, ditto without egg, yuca with cheese, corn with cheese, boiled yucca with cheesy soup, soupy guinea pig with potato, salad with parasites, ditto without (but with cheese.) Delicious!
Can you let me know soon? And please don’t mention it to anyone. I wouldn’t want word of it, you know, leaking out.
By Ellen E Jones
Q. How many days is it acceptable to go without calling your parents?
A. Don’t think of calling them as a chore: they are the only people biologically-bound to put up with your whinging. Think of it as a chance to offload weaker anecdotes and make loan requests.
By Liam O'Brien
The Queen’s Club Championships attracts top tennis talent: see who’s in form for Wimbledon. 10-16 June, lta.org.uk
Fashion fans will love this show of Dior Couture from the 1940s-50s at the Gallery of Costume. From 12 June, manchestergalleries.org
Beats headphones by Dr Dre are ubiquitous, but perhaps treat your dad to a less garish set from Bose for Father’s Day. AE2W Bluetooth headphones, £199.95, bose.co.uk
- Britain’s MPs added to their salaries with outside earnings of more than £7m over the last session of parliament
- The current annual salary for an MP is £65,738
- In 1993, an MP’s annual salary was £30,854
- The average annual earnings of a full-time worker in Britain are £26,500
- In a recent poll Tory MPs said they should be paid £96,740, while Labour MPs put the figure at £77,322
- US senators pocket an official salary of $174,000 (£115,000)
- In 2010 the median net worth of a sitting US senator was put at $2.63m (£1.7m)
- Kenyan MPs recently increased their salary to around £6,540 a month – 130 times greater than the country’s minimum wage
- New York’s billionaire mayor Michael Bloomberg takes an annual salary of $1 for the job, getting a check each year for 93 cents, with 6 cents going to social security and one cent to Medicare
MPs declare £7m income from other jobs, The Guardian
Members’ pay, pensions and allowances, Parliament.uk
Average earnings rise by 1.4% to £26,500, says ONS, BBC
MPs in line for £20,000 pay rise in move likely to spark public anger, The Independent
Senate Salaries since 1789, Senate.gov
In Congress, nearly half the members are millionaires, MSN Money
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
- 3 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 4 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
- 5 Paracetamol Challenge: Mother of girl killed by overdose pleads with teenagers not to take part
Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
Grace of Monaco film panned: Screenwriter pours scorn on biopic starring Nicole Kidman as movie gets US debut
Suicide Squad: leaked footage shows first look at Batmobile chasing Joker through city streets
ASAP Rocky sparks outrage with misogynistic lyrics about Rita Ora in new song 'Better Things'
'I was raped as a child, and only now can I tell my story': How James Rhodes fought the law courts in a battle to be heard
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote