Valentine's Day: 20 best films including Romeo and Juliet and Breakfast at Tiffany's
Make a date with Deneuve but avoid Sleepless in Seattle
Singletons and loved-up couples may be wondering which movies to watch this Valentine's Day. But when it comes to the silver screen's long-term romance with love, many directors have got it wrong. (Scroll to see gallery).
Sleepless in Seattle with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan is a common choice but, drenched in schmaltz, it should come with a nausea warning.
Read more: Valentine's Day Google Doodle
Usual date suspect Casablanca is a much wiser bet, crackling with wit, style and erotic energy in much the same vein as Catherine Deneuve does in kitsch delight The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
If you’re feeling extra bitter this year, Blue Valentine is the anti-14 February movie for you. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams star in a brilliantly-acted but ultimately bleak study of a relationship in good times and bad.
Take a look at our Valentine’s hits and misses below:
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show