Valentine's Day: 20 best films including Romeo and Juliet and Breakfast at Tiffany's
Make a date with Deneuve but avoid Sleepless in Seattle
Singletons and loved-up couples may be wondering which movies to watch this Valentine's Day. But when it comes to the silver screen's long-term romance with love, many directors have got it wrong. (Scroll to see gallery).
Sleepless in Seattle with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan is a common choice but, drenched in schmaltz, it should come with a nausea warning.
Read more: Valentine's Day Google Doodle
Usual date suspect Casablanca is a much wiser bet, crackling with wit, style and erotic energy in much the same vein as Catherine Deneuve does in kitsch delight The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
If you’re feeling extra bitter this year, Blue Valentine is the anti-14 February movie for you. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams star in a brilliantly-acted but ultimately bleak study of a relationship in good times and bad.
Take a look at our Valentine’s hits and misses below:
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments