Film trailer: Russell Brand in 'Arthur' update
Friday 11 February 2011
In the remake of the 1981 comedy
Arthur, Russell Brand (
Get Him to the Greek) takes on Dudley Moore's role as the rich drunken playboy.
This first trailer, released on February 10, shows Arthur as a spoiled freewheeling rascal, who is given an ultimatum by his mother to marry an approved heiress, Susan - or lose his inheritance.
When he resists the woman and stands up to his family, Arthur loses his billion dollar fortune. His character is tested when choosing true love over money.
Helen Mirren ( Red) costars in the valet role previously played by John Gielgud, Jennifer Garner ( The Invention of Lying) plays the intended bride, and Greta Gerwig ( No Strings Attached) takes on Liza Minnelli's role as the girlfriend.
Thirty years later the jokes have changed but the situation remains comedic with Brand's interpretation of Moore's role. Arthur is scheduled for release on April 8.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'