Lebowski's 'The Dude' will abide on Facebook
Friday 19 August 2011
The cast of the 1998 cult classic
The Big Lebowski, starring Oscar winner Jeff Bridges, reunited in New York City this week for the Lebowski Fest, August 15-16, and to celebrate the release of the film on high-def Blu-ray.
News followed on August 18 that the film would be streamed on Facebook for US viewers. Lebowski is now available to fans for 30 Facebook credits (US$3) and renters have a 48-hour viewing period.
Directed by Ethan and Joel Coen, Lebowski is a story of a stoner a/k/a ‘The Dude,' who is mistaken for a millionaire. It co-stars Julianne Moore ( The Kids Are All Right), John Goodman ( Monsters Inc.), John Turturro ( Transformers) and Steve Buscemi ( Fargo).
Universal's Social Theater app allows people to rent films through Facebook fan pages and "participate in a communal viewing experience by contributing 'likes' and comments while monitoring the comments from friends of the movie," the press release explained.
Previous films to stream on Facebook have included Warner Bros.' The Dark Knight.
Arts & Ents blogs
The Full Monty to close in West End after one month despite Olivier nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is not bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past role cut to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli on why she wants more male nudity in the show
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers