There are a lot of great film quotes out there; “I’m the king of the world”, “Life is like a box of chocolates”, “Bond. James Bond”, “Say hello to my little friend”. The list goes on and on.
Those filmmakers over in Hollywood were asked by The Hollywood Reporter to give their favourite quotes ever, with “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn” from Gone With The Wind topping their 100 quote-long list.
Of course, there were some incredibly iconic lines that didn’t make the cut, and the publication has kindly shared the 10 quotes that only just missed out.
1. "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?” - Batman, 1989
Jack Nicolson features within the top 100 numerous times, but his famous line from the 1989 Batman film just missed out. “I just… like the way it sounds”. As do we all, Mr Joker.
2. “Beam me up, Scotty” - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, 1986
Yes, one of the most iconic lines in sci-fi managed to just miss out on the top 100. Funnily enough, this actual rendition of the line wasn’t actually said in a movie until the fourth Star Trek film, with versions of "Scotty, beam us up fast!" and "Beam us up” being said in the first three movies.
3. “I’m gonna have to science the shit out of this” - The Martian, 2015
Ridley Scott’s latest film The Martian is already making a big impact in Hollywood; not only was Matt Damon’s role as the titular character (he was a Martian after all) nominated for an Oscar, but the quote almost broke the top 100.
4. “Not my tempo” - Whiplash, 2014
Another more modern film, JK Simmons abusive drum teacher managed to have quite the impact on Hollywood veterans. Simmons - who is returning to superhero films in the not-so-distant future - won an Oscar for the role.
5. ”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” - To Kill a Mockingbird, 1960
Harper Lee wrote the original line, but it was Gregory Peck’s delivery that managed to get it onto the list.
6. "What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary” - It's a Wonderful Life, 1946
Although this line didn’t break the top quotes, "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings” made it to 42.
7. "We're on a mission from God” - The Blues Brothers, 1980
Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi as the brilliant Blues Brothers quickly became a cult phenomenon, and one line stood out from all the rest - probably because it was said dozens of times throughout the film.
8. "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine” - The Imitation Game, 2014
Apparently Benedict Cumberbatch’s turn as Alan Turing is better than the below Ghostbusters line. I beg to differ.
9. "We came. We saw. We kicked its ass” - Ghostbusters, 1984
Let’s be honest, we all know the Ghostbusters reboot won’t have a line that delivers as well as this one. But they’re going to try their damn hardest, I guarantee you that.
10. "Hello, gorgeous” - Funny Girl, 1968
Really, Hollywood? You’re putting The Martian and The Imitation Game above this?Reuse content