Avengers film sets new record at box office
Monday 07 May 2012
The superhero movie Avengers Assemble has set a new record for the biggest-grossing opening weekend at the US box office, becoming the first film to break the $200m (£123m) mark.
The blockbuster, which brings together such famous comic book characters as The Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America, overtook the $169m (£104m) achieved by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in July 2011.
Avengers Assemble, which cost $220m to make, has also proved succesful in Britain, taking £15.8m in its first week – the biggest haul so far this year.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl Kaychanel featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >