Bafta Rising Star award snubs women
Thursday 12 January 2012
Two Eton-educated actors and a director from Hackney are among the stars battling it out for the Bafta Rising Star award, which celebrates the brightest talents making their way in the film industry.
But no women featured on the shortlist announced yesterday. Felicity Jones, who won a Special Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival, and the Oscar-nominated Jennifer Lawrence failed to secure enough public votes to qualify.
Instead, My Week With Marilyn actor Eddie Redmayne, Thor stars Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth, Bridesmaids star Chris O'Dowd and director Adam Deacon will contest the prize.
Redmayne said he was surprised about the lack of women: "I was a bit shocked because Felicity Jones is an absolute genius," he said.
He was modest about the respect he has won in the industry. He said: "People always go 'Oh, you've done incest' or 'oh you've played a paedophile' and say 'oh, what bold choices'. But they're not bold choices. It's your job."
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage