Clint Eastwood: Wouldn't it be great to be 105 and still making films?
Not many filmmakers keep working into their Eighties, but
Clint Eastwood, 82, seems determined to keep going for the next two
decades at least.
Speaking at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York, the man behind The Changeling and Million Dollar Baby, said: “I don’t think you ever lose [the passion for filmmaking], probably. Who is the Portuguese director who is 105 and still making films? That’s always everybody’s dream. Wouldn’t it be great to be 105 and still making films?"
Eastwood, who was speaking in conversation with fellow director Darren Aronofsky, was referring to 104-year-old Portuguese director Manoel de Oliveira who made his first film in 1931.
Eastwood, who rose to fame in spaghetti Westerns such as The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, says it used to be much harder for him to get his films made. "In the early days it was more of a fight to get films green-lit. Now, they go, 'Oh, well, if he's the old guy…”
He is at Tribeca to introduce a documentary about his work called Eastwood Directs: The Untold Story.
Arts & Ents blogs
'The Full Monty' stage play to close in West End after only a month - despite Olivier Awards nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is really not so bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past cut down to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli says she wants to see more male nudity in the show
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers