However, screenwriter Nicole Perlman - best known for writing Guardians of the Galaxy - has said she has “no interest” in remaking the 1986 cult classic.
Perlman took to Twitter to deny her involvement with the film, writing: “Guys, please don't fall for all the clickbait. No one is remaking Labyrinth. That movie is perfect as it is.”
Guys, please don't fall for all the clickbait. No one is remaking "Labyrinth." That movie is perfect as it is.— Nicole Perlman (@Uncannygirl) January 24, 2016
Speaking to the Guardian Australia, Perlman said she had been speaking to The Jim Henson Company for over a year without announcing anything publicly.
With regards the timing of the news reports, Perlman clarified they were in no way wanting to profit off Bowie’s death: “All I can say is that the timing for the story was awful; it felt like a punch in the gut.”
“Bowie’s music helped me through some of the hardest times of my life. I respect him as a musician, an actor, an icon and, most importantly, as a human being. It would have been a dream come true, to write something for him.”
Entertainment Weekly have since claimed the film will be a sequel to the original rather than a reboot.
It was recently revealed that Bowie had prepared a number of posthumous releases before his death, the first of which should be released in 2017.Reuse content