Gay actors face obstacles
Tuesday 02 February 2010
Colin Firth claimed today that gay actors risk missing out on work if they come out. The actor stars as gay college professor George Falconer in
A Single Man, directed by Tom Ford, the US fashion designer who turned around the Gucci label before heading to Hollywood.
Firth said at the movie's UK premiere in London that there are still "invisible boundaries" that gay actors struggle to cross. He said: "There might be risks for a gay actor coming out. The politics of that are quite complex."
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >