Golden Globes 2014: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's best jokes
The comic duo showcased quick wit and quality gags at the Los Angeles event
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler kept the wisecracks flowing almost as fast as the champagne at the 71st Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night.
Known for their hosting slot on US variety show Saturday Night Live, the comic duo were well-received by the audience and praised for their quick wit and quality gags.
Fearless in the face of possible controversy, Fey opened with: "Good evening to everyone in the audience and to all the women and gay men watching at home."
Aware of the length of the ceremony, Fey and Poehler had devised a Golden Globes drinking game last year for TV viewers to play along with at home.
The pair updated the rules for 2014, telling The Hollywood Reporter: "Any time you see a gown with sleeves, you’re going to drink, any time they cut to Tom Hanks for a reaction shot, do five push-ups, and if Bryan Cranston speaks, everybody has to do a little bit of meth."
Those collecting gongs failed to rival their hosts’ clever humour, but Jim Carrey cracked some smiles with his reference to Shia LaBeouf’s plagiarism-inspired meltdown on Twitter. “Dying is easy, comedy is hard. I believe it was Shia LaBeouf who said that,” he quipped.
Jared Leto assured his fans that no prosthetics were used in Dallas Buyers Club while accepting his Best Supporting Actor award. “That tiny little Brazilian bubble butt was all mine,” he said.
Other stars admitted to stage fright, with American Hustle’s Jennifer Lawrence describing accepting her Best Supporting Actress award as “so scary”.
Poehler’s hosting efforts were rewarded when she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a TV Comedy, for her performance in Parks and Recreation.
Fey and Poehler have already been booked to host the 2015 Golden Globe Awards. "This is Hollywood, and if something kind of works they'll just keep doing it until everybody hates it," the popular double act joked.
Fey and Poehler’s top ten funnies
1) “We’re going to get this done in three hours – or as Martin Scorsese calls it, act one.” (Tina Fey)
2) “ Gravity is nominated for Best Film. It’s the story of how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age”. (Tina Fey)
3) “ Masters of Sex is the degree I got from Boston College.” (Amy Poehler)
4) "Matt Damon is here for Behind the Candelabra. Matt, on any other night in another room, you would be a big deal. But tonight, and don't take this the wrong way, you're basically a garbage person." (Amy Poehler)
5) “Now, like a supermodel’s vagina, let’s say hello to Leonardo DiCaprio.” (Tina Fey)
Tina Fey and Amy Poelher cracked a string of gags at the Golden Globe Awards 6) “A lot of nominated shows this year are actually on Netflix: House of Cards, Orange is the New Black. Enjoy it while it lasts Netflix, because you’re not going to feel so smug in a couple of years when Snapchat is up here accepting best drama.” (Amy Poehler)
7) “Congratulations to all the wonderful actors nominated tonight, from the amazing Chiwetel Ejiofor to the stunning Lupita Nyong’o to American treasure Tam Honks. Dammit, I knew I was going to screw that up.” (Amy Poehler)
8) “ The Wolf of Wall Street is another nominee tonight. I really loved the film, but some of it was too graphic. I mean, if I wanted to see Jonah Hill masturbate at a pool party, I’d go to one of Jonah Hill’s pool parties.” (Amy Poehler)
9) “For (Matthew McConaughey's) role in Dallas Buyers Club he lost 45 pounds. Or what actresses call, being in a movie." (Tina Fey)
10) “Before earning a Golden Globe nomination for his first ever acting role in Captain Phillips, Barkad Abdi was working as a limousine driver in Minnesota. There’s such a beautiful life lesson here, everyone: Sleep with your limo driver tonight, before he gets famous.” (Amy Poehler)
The best TV shows and films coming to the servicetv
Watch the new House of Cards series three trailerTV
Oscars 2015It was the first time Barney has compered the Academy Awards
Oscars 2015 From Meryl Streep whooping Patricia Arquette's equality speech to Chris Pine in tears
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
Game of Thrones season 5 spoilers: What we can expect according to George RR Martin's books
Spectre: Director Sam Mendes teases clips from upcoming James Bond movie
Indian Summers recommissioned: Channel 4 confirm a second series of British Empire drama
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
The Casual Vacancy finale review: Superb cast, luscious cinematography - shame about the confused ending
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut