Hollywood’s in need of a superhero - to recover its money from China
Beijing accused of taking box office receipts from American studios
Los Angeles
Wednesday 31 July 2013
Related articles
China is likely to become the world’s biggest film market within the next five years, making it a potential source of vast profits for Hollywood studios – but only if the Chinese decide to pay them. And, according to reports this week in the US trade papers Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, China stopped paying Hollywood for its movies months ago.
Remarkably, it seems that the studios have continued to send their big releases to Chinese cinemas, despite not having received a penny of their box-office takings since the end of last year. In several cases, the withheld payments are thought to total tens of millions of dollars, and all because of a dispute over a new tax.
Last year, the US Vice-President Joe Biden and China’s then Vice-President Xi Jinping, who has since become the country’s President, negotiated a landmark World Trade Organisation deal, relaxing strict restrictions on foreign film releases in China.
Under the agreement, Beijing agreed to allow more overseas movies to be screened in Chinese cinemas than in previous years, and raised to 25 per cent the share of box-office takings to be returned to US studios.
Towards the end of 2012, however, the state-run China Film Group told studios that it intended to levy a 2 per cent value-added tax on each film release. Studios are refusing to pay the VAT, claiming it breaches the WTO deal. The ongoing dispute means Western studios have seen none of their agreed 25 per cent of Chinese box-office earnings for some of this year’s biggest releases.
Warner Brothers is probably owed more than $31m (£20m) for blockbusters including Man Of Steel and The Hobbit, while Sony has supposedly seen nothing for its James Bond movie Skyfall. Disney could be more than $30m out of pocket for Iron Man 3 alone, which made more than $121m in China, and 20th Century Fox has said it is still waiting for an estimated $23m return on its Chinese success with Life Of Pi.
Historically, dealing with China has been difficult for Hollywood film-makers, who must contend with the whims of Chinese censors. Many films have been banned with little or no explanation, others have been withdrawn from screens at a moment’s notice. Yet Chinese audiences are fast becoming so crucial that US studios are more anxious than ever to please them, and the censors who control what they see. Several Hollywood blockbusters, including Iron Man 3, specifically altered their content to make them more attractive to the Chinese market.
Chris Dodd, a former US Senator who now chairs the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), is working to resolve the dispute, which has reportedly reached the US Trade Representative. A source at the USTR told Variety that the agency was working with the MPAA and “counterparts within the Chinese government to resolve the issue”.
Arts & Ents blogs
Travel Shop
Four nights from £669pp, seven nights from £999pp or 13 nights from £2,199pp Find out more
-
Doctor Who announcement: Has Rankin given fans a clue to the identity of the new Doctor?
-
Reginald D Hunter: The controversial comedian on sex, 'Star Trek' and why he moved to Britain
-
Min-Jin Kym 'elated' after stolen 300-year-old Stradivarius violin worth £1.2m recovered
-
TV review: I Love My Country - Be patriotic and turn off your set right now
-
All bets off as BBC prepares to unveil new Doctor Who
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes






