Hundreds camp out for final Potter premiere
Feverish anticipation continued last night as today's premiere in London of the final Harry Potter film drew near. The film will bring to an end the eight-film saga of JK Rowling's boy wizard, a series that has spawned an era of international obsession. Fans camped overnight in Trafalgar Square ahead of the world premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, sheltering beneath ponchos, tents and coats. Some devotees wore costumes of the character, and Lara Teresa, 16, even travelled from Germany for the occasion.
"I've been here since Tuesday and slept behind the fence in front of the National Gallery," she said. "I skipped school to be here and I'm staying until Sunday. I really should go back to school on Monday."
The film will be screened at three cinemas in Leicester Square, with a red carpet extending down to Trafalgar Square.
Since they began in 2001, the Potter films have generated about £3.4bn at the box office.
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict