Idris Elba as Nelson Mandela: Trailer released for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Idris Elba plays South Africa's anti-apartheid icon in the film
Today cinemagoers got their first look at a full trailer for the upcoming Nelson Mandela biopic.
Luther star Idris Elba plays South Africa's anti-apartheid icon in the film, set for release in November, leaving both the film and Elba in Oscar contention.
Earlier this month a much less revealing teaser trailer was released, showing little of how the British actor will look in character. But this latest release gives away a lot more of what the film will focus on - the future Nobel peace laureate's younger days as a fighter against white political supremacy.
Speaking about the role earlier this year, Elba said: "I learnt a lot about the man and his life, and I learnt a lot about sacrifice."
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans