'I'll be back' wins poll of top movie quotes
Monday 17 September 2012
Arnold Schwarzenegger has terminated the opposition to top a poll to find the most memorable movie line of all time.
The actor-turned-politician's famous line from The Terminator - "I'll be back" - picked up 16% of votes, beating Clark Gable's "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" from the American Civil War epic Gone With The Wind.
Other popular lines included "May the force be with you" from Star Wars and Humphrey Bogart's immortal "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine" from the wartime classic Casablanca.
The poll of 2,000 people, commissioned by Sky's movie streaming service NOW TV, also asked film fans to pick a recent quote they think will live on in cinema history and almost a third (32.65%) went for the line "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-Man.
NOW TV's Simon Creasey said: "The research shows that movies have become a fundamental part of our everyday lives. We were surprised to see that 6% of the nation use movie quotes in business meetings at work, 4% slip movie quotes in at weddings and 3% even try quoting a movie to talk their way out of a parking ticket. Following this research, it will be interesting to see how many of us are able to catch our friends, family and colleagues using movie quotes in everyday conversation."
Top 10 Most Memorable Movie Quotes:
- "I'll be back." The Terminator - 16%
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone With The Wind - 15%
- "Houston, we have a problem." Apollo 13 - 8.8%
- "May the force be with you." Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope - 8.4%
- "My mamma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."' - Forrest Gump - 6.05%
- "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Dirty Dancing - 5.8%
- "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine." Casablanca - 4.75%
- "There's no place like home." The Wizard Of Oz - 4.2%
- "Here's Johnny." The Shining - 4.15%
- "No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die." Goldfinger - 4.15%
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Secret Cinema: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Standing my ground: If sitting is bad for your health, what happens when you stay on your feet for a whole month?
Secret Cinema: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
Game of Thrones season 4 blooper reel unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Doctor Who series 8: Watch Peter Capaldi in new ‘Listen!’ teaser trailer
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc