'I'll be back' wins poll of top movie quotes
Monday 17 September 2012
Arnold Schwarzenegger has terminated the opposition to top a poll to find the most memorable movie line of all time.
The actor-turned-politician's famous line from The Terminator - "I'll be back" - picked up 16% of votes, beating Clark Gable's "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" from the American Civil War epic Gone With The Wind.
Other popular lines included "May the force be with you" from Star Wars and Humphrey Bogart's immortal "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine" from the wartime classic Casablanca.
The poll of 2,000 people, commissioned by Sky's movie streaming service NOW TV, also asked film fans to pick a recent quote they think will live on in cinema history and almost a third (32.65%) went for the line "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-Man.
NOW TV's Simon Creasey said: "The research shows that movies have become a fundamental part of our everyday lives. We were surprised to see that 6% of the nation use movie quotes in business meetings at work, 4% slip movie quotes in at weddings and 3% even try quoting a movie to talk their way out of a parking ticket. Following this research, it will be interesting to see how many of us are able to catch our friends, family and colleagues using movie quotes in everyday conversation."
Top 10 Most Memorable Movie Quotes:
- "I'll be back." The Terminator - 16%
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone With The Wind - 15%
- "Houston, we have a problem." Apollo 13 - 8.8%
- "May the force be with you." Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope - 8.4%
- "My mamma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."' - Forrest Gump - 6.05%
- "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Dirty Dancing - 5.8%
- "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine." Casablanca - 4.75%
- "There's no place like home." The Wizard Of Oz - 4.2%
- "Here's Johnny." The Shining - 4.15%
- "No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die." Goldfinger - 4.15%
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains