'I'll be back' wins poll of top movie quotes
Monday 17 September 2012
Arnold Schwarzenegger has terminated the opposition to top a poll to find the most memorable movie line of all time.
The actor-turned-politician's famous line from The Terminator - "I'll be back" - picked up 16% of votes, beating Clark Gable's "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" from the American Civil War epic Gone With The Wind.
Other popular lines included "May the force be with you" from Star Wars and Humphrey Bogart's immortal "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine" from the wartime classic Casablanca.
The poll of 2,000 people, commissioned by Sky's movie streaming service NOW TV, also asked film fans to pick a recent quote they think will live on in cinema history and almost a third (32.65%) went for the line "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-Man.
NOW TV's Simon Creasey said: "The research shows that movies have become a fundamental part of our everyday lives. We were surprised to see that 6% of the nation use movie quotes in business meetings at work, 4% slip movie quotes in at weddings and 3% even try quoting a movie to talk their way out of a parking ticket. Following this research, it will be interesting to see how many of us are able to catch our friends, family and colleagues using movie quotes in everyday conversation."
Top 10 Most Memorable Movie Quotes:
- "I'll be back." The Terminator - 16%
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone With The Wind - 15%
- "Houston, we have a problem." Apollo 13 - 8.8%
- "May the force be with you." Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope - 8.4%
- "My mamma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."' - Forrest Gump - 6.05%
- "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Dirty Dancing - 5.8%
- "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine." Casablanca - 4.75%
- "There's no place like home." The Wizard Of Oz - 4.2%
- "Here's Johnny." The Shining - 4.15%
- "No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die." Goldfinger - 4.15%
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The political parties aren't all the same – which means 2015 will be a 'big-choice' election
- 2 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times