'I'll be back' wins poll of top movie quotes
Monday 17 September 2012
Arnold Schwarzenegger has terminated the opposition to top a poll to find the most memorable movie line of all time.
The actor-turned-politician's famous line from The Terminator - "I'll be back" - picked up 16% of votes, beating Clark Gable's "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" from the American Civil War epic Gone With The Wind.
Other popular lines included "May the force be with you" from Star Wars and Humphrey Bogart's immortal "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine" from the wartime classic Casablanca.
The poll of 2,000 people, commissioned by Sky's movie streaming service NOW TV, also asked film fans to pick a recent quote they think will live on in cinema history and almost a third (32.65%) went for the line "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-Man.
NOW TV's Simon Creasey said: "The research shows that movies have become a fundamental part of our everyday lives. We were surprised to see that 6% of the nation use movie quotes in business meetings at work, 4% slip movie quotes in at weddings and 3% even try quoting a movie to talk their way out of a parking ticket. Following this research, it will be interesting to see how many of us are able to catch our friends, family and colleagues using movie quotes in everyday conversation."
Top 10 Most Memorable Movie Quotes:
- "I'll be back." The Terminator - 16%
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone With The Wind - 15%
- "Houston, we have a problem." Apollo 13 - 8.8%
- "May the force be with you." Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope - 8.4%
- "My mamma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."' - Forrest Gump - 6.05%
- "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Dirty Dancing - 5.8%
- "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine." Casablanca - 4.75%
- "There's no place like home." The Wizard Of Oz - 4.2%
- "Here's Johnny." The Shining - 4.15%
- "No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die." Goldfinger - 4.15%
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Daniel Radcliffe deemed 'not marketable' without his English accent
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign