'I'll be back' wins poll of top movie quotes
Monday 17 September 2012
Arnold Schwarzenegger has terminated the opposition to top a poll to find the most memorable movie line of all time.
The actor-turned-politician's famous line from The Terminator - "I'll be back" - picked up 16% of votes, beating Clark Gable's "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" from the American Civil War epic Gone With The Wind.
Other popular lines included "May the force be with you" from Star Wars and Humphrey Bogart's immortal "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine" from the wartime classic Casablanca.
The poll of 2,000 people, commissioned by Sky's movie streaming service NOW TV, also asked film fans to pick a recent quote they think will live on in cinema history and almost a third (32.65%) went for the line "With great power comes great responsibility" from Spider-Man.
NOW TV's Simon Creasey said: "The research shows that movies have become a fundamental part of our everyday lives. We were surprised to see that 6% of the nation use movie quotes in business meetings at work, 4% slip movie quotes in at weddings and 3% even try quoting a movie to talk their way out of a parking ticket. Following this research, it will be interesting to see how many of us are able to catch our friends, family and colleagues using movie quotes in everyday conversation."
Top 10 Most Memorable Movie Quotes:
- "I'll be back." The Terminator - 16%
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone With The Wind - 15%
- "Houston, we have a problem." Apollo 13 - 8.8%
- "May the force be with you." Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope - 8.4%
- "My mamma always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."' - Forrest Gump - 6.05%
- "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Dirty Dancing - 5.8%
- "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine." Casablanca - 4.75%
- "There's no place like home." The Wizard Of Oz - 4.2%
- "Here's Johnny." The Shining - 4.15%
- "No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die." Goldfinger - 4.15%
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Lynda Bellingham dead: Loose Women presenter dies after battle with colon cancer
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing