Johnny Depp rides into London's 'wild' West End for The Lone Ranger premiere
Monday 22 July 2013
Johnny Depp rode into the 'wild' West End of London for The Lone Ranger premiere.
Pirates of the Caribbean star Depp plays Tonto, the Native American partner to co-star Armie Hammer's cowboy, John Reid.
Depp said: "It's always upset me: the idea of Tonto the Indian sidekick to the white man - the idea of the red man as lesser than the white man always bothered me.
"I felt a responsibility to portray the Native Americans as the dignified great nation of warriors they are but also a responsibility to entertain and make people laugh so that was a tightrope."
In the film Tonto tells the tale of what transformed John Reid from a man of the law into a legend of justice.
The Social Network actor Hammer takes his first leading role in The Lone Ranger. He said: "It was the greatest experience of my life."
Depp, 50 and Hammer, 26 were accompanied at the Odeon Leicester Square premiere by Silver the horse - who joined the stars on the red carpet - the film's other stars Tom Wilkinson, Ruth Wilson and Harry Treadaway, director Gore Verbinski and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
The Lone Ranger is released in cinemas on 9 August.
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >