Liam Neeson eyes $20m deal to star in Taken 3
Tuesday 25 June 2013
Liam Neeson is close to agreeing a $20 million deal to star in Taken 3, according to reports.
Taken 2, released last year, received a critical drubbing, but the Oscar-nominated actor is said to be close to a deal for a second sequel that will make him one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood.
According to Deadline, Neeson was a “reluctant participant” in Taken 2 but was nevertheless persuaded by a $15 million payment.
In the Taken franchise, Neeson stars as former CIA operative Bryan Mills. The first film, released in 2009, sees his daughter kidnapped in Paris and sold into sex slavery, while in the sequel Mills himself becomes the kidnap victim.
Taken nabbed $226 million at the box office on a relatively small budget of $25 million. Its sequel cost $45 million but reaped $376 million for 20 Century Fox.
But reviewers who had shown enthusiasm for the original turned their backs on the sequel.
“Foreigners bad, Americans good, box office busy,” said the New York Times last year.
Empire noted: “Neeson is still the redeeming feature. He commits to lines such as, ‘When a dog has a bone, the last thing you should try to do is take it from him,’ as if it’s Chekhov.”
The Independent's Anthony Quinn wrote: "It's as preposterous as the first movie, with Neeson's humourless hardnut exhibiting the muscle and reflexes of a man half his age (he's 60)."
Luc Besson, the writer responsible for both films, was initially sceptical about a second sequel.
“The story’s very good,” he told Den of Geek about Taken 2. “But we won't have a third one. We’ll have a second one, because it’s almost a continuation of the first movie. You could even take one and two together, in a way, and that works.
“But I don’t think we’ll go like Transporter, for example, with two, three and four. We’ll stop at the two.”
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Disney announces new female-led film Moana
Eight seconds of white noise is top of the Canadian iTunes chart because people love Taylor Swift that much
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Sensitive, silly and sensational
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world