One of last surviving Munchkin actors from The Wizard of Oz dies aged 89
Thursday 08 August 2013
One of the last surviving Munchkins from the original 1939 classic film The Wizard of Oz, Margaret Pellegrini, has died at the age of 89.
The actress, who played a flowerpot Munchkin and one of the sleepy kids, suffered a stroke at her home in Phoenix on Monday, according to spokesman Ted Bulthaup.
Pellegrini was 16 when she played one of the 124 Munchkins in the film. She was among the few to greet Dorothy, played by Judy Garland, as she arrived in Oz.
Flowers and other tributes have been placed by fans beside Pellegrini's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame since news of her passing broke.
Pellegrini leaves just two original Munchkins behind, Lollipop Kid Jerry Maren, 93, who currently lives in Los Angeles, and Ruth Duccini, 95, who lives in Phoenix.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassing leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action