Paul Walker death: Filming of Fast and Furious 7 on hold following death of actor
Universal Pictures has not said when production will resume
The production of Fast & Furious 7 has been suspended following the death of Paul Walker.
Universal Pictures released a statement yesterday saying filming on the latest instalment was on hold.
A spokesman declined to say when filming would resume after reports earlier this week said the movie would go ahead.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, director James Wan and executives from Universal Studio held a meeting on Sunday to determine what needed to be done to complete the film while remaining respectful to Walker's memory.
A large portion of the film has been shot but is not yet complete, despite its release date set for July.
Universal Pictures has yet to confirm how it will alter the film to handle Walker’s unfinished performance.
It is thought promotion of the next film in the franchise is likely to prove problematic, given the movie’s focus on spectacular car stunts.
Walker, who starred in all but one of the six Fast & Furious blockbusters, died aged 40 in a car crash in Los Angeles on Saturday.
The actor’s publicist confirmed he was in the passenger seat when the Porshe his financial advisor Roger Rodas was driving crashed into a tree before exploding into flames.
Law enforcement officials have said they do not believe the Porshe had been racing another car. Eyewitness statements said the car involved was travelling alone at a high rate of speed, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
A private memorial for the cast and crew of the Fast & Furious franchise was held inside a white tent near the site of the crash on Monday.
Universal Pictures said in a statement following Walker’s death: “Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the Fast & Furious films, and to countless fans.”
With additional reporting from the Associated Press
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 2 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
- 3 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 4 Fifa corruption: Qatar says investigations are racist, anti-Arab and show 'ugly face' of countries who lost 2022 World Cup bid
- 5 We have six months to save the world, says leading economist
Game of Thrones, Battle of Hardhome: 20-minute Wildlings versus White Walkers battle took a 'solid month' to film
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 9: 'The Dance of Dragons' sees Jon Snow return to The Wall after epic Battle of Hardhome
Britain's Got Talent final 2015: 90 viewers complain to Ofcom about Alesha Dixon and Amanda Holden's 'revealing' dresses
Ed Sheeran debuts new song 'Sweet Mary Jane' about his love affair with weed
Black Angel: Long lost Star Wars precursor to be made into crowdfunded feature film
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers